Thursday 11 September 2008

Anorexia

I have gained 16 pounds over the last few years, and for an ex-anorexic, that's too huge too contemplate. It's crept up over the last few years, depressing me every time I stepped on the scales. I've cried and exercised fearing I was on my way to hefty. I know it's my age - pre-menopausal - but that doesn't help. As a teen I was anorexic - a proud 96 pounds and believing that if I ever reached 100 pounds I'd be on my way to fat. I matured in my 20s and my weight settled at around 110 pounds - with this I was happy. But now at 126 pounds - 57 kilos - I feel that I should head for weight watchers.
So I was pleased when an old friend told me I looked better now than when he first met me 10 years ago. I told my husband and he grew exasperated, reminding me that he has been telling me this every time I cried about my weight. He pointed out all our female friends who were too thin and how it aged them. I had to agree with him.
So, it's no more weight scales for me - as long as the clothes fit, I'll be more content in this plumper frame.

No comments: